I suggest you ...

Notification Screen

The alert filter settings involve two files. First, the 'SSISAlerts_DataFile.txt' file which in my case is in the C:\Documents and Settings\MRSE\My Documents\BI xPress directory. This file serves as the dropdown list on the Notification screen where you can select which alerts you wish to be filtered. Once you select an alert to be filtered then that fact is stored in the Notification config file. In my case this config file is called 'Notification_Profile.dtsConfig' and in my case I filtered two alerts. Once you have selected alerts to be filtered that fact is stored in the XML in the config file as this snippet shows (in RED) for the two alerts I filtered:

- <Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="\Package.Variables[varSSISOpsNF_OtherConfigSettings].Properties[Value]" ValueType="String">
<ConfiguredValue>PRIORITY_MODE=DELAYED;EMAIL_FORMAT=HTML;SMTP_UID=;SMTP_PWD=;SMTP_PORT=25;SMTP_USESSL=False;NOTIFY_ONERROR=True;NOTIFY_ONWARNING=True;NOTIFY_ONSUCCESS=False;NOTIFY_ONCOMPLETE=False;SMS_EMAILLIST=;MAX_NOTIFICATIONS=10;ENABLE_TIME_THRESHOLD=False;ENABLE_ROWCOUNT_THRESHOLD=False;SMS_MAXLENGTH=140;FILTERED_ALERTS=-2145378289|-2147192714;CC_EMAILLIST=;BCC_EMAILLIST=;NOTIFY_USING_EMAIL=True;NOTIFY_USING_SMS=False;NOTIFY_USING_EVENTLOG=False;NOTIFY_USING_LOGFILE=False;LOG_FOLDER_PATH=C:\SSIS\Log;USE_CUSTOM_EMAIL_TEMPLATE=False;CUSTOM_EMAIL_TEMPLATE_FILEPATH=C:\SSIS\Config\NF_EmailTemplate.htm;DELETE_LOG_OLDER_THAN_DAYS=5</ConfiguredValue>
</Configuration>

The above is for Notifications alert control versus the mechanism used for Auditing control. In Auditing alert control, the database table 'SSISPackageAlertList' is used and a flag called FilterThisAlert controls if the alert is reported in the Monitoring reports. See the table below where I have the same two warnings filtered for Auditing/Reporting as I do above for Notifications.

AlertID AlertCode CompareAction AlertKeywords AlertDescription FilterThisAlert
100 -2145348953 CODE Truncation may occur due to inserting data from data flow column [?] with a length of [?] to database column [?] with a length of [?]. 0
101 -2147192714 CODE The output column "[?]" (?) on output "?" (?) and component "Flat File Source" (?) is not subsequently used in the Data Flow task. Removing this unused output column can increase Data Flow task performance. 0
102 -2147381246 CODE SSIS Warning Code DTS_W_MAXIMUMERRORCOUNTREACHED. The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (?) reached the maximum allowed (?); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors. 0
103 0 KEYWORD Time Out Sample Alert Filter By Sub string - Filter any warning with "Time Out" word in it. 0
104 -2147183868 CODE Warning: Could not open global shared memory to communicate with performance DLL; data flow performance counters are not available. To resolve, run this package as an administrator, or on the system's console. 0
105 -2145378289 CODE There is a partial row at the end of the file. 1
106 -2147192714 CODE The output column "EOD_ErrorColumn" (?) on output "?Error Description Output" (?) and component "?" (?) is not subsequently used in the Data Flow task. Removing this unused output column can increase Data Flow task performance. 1

My suggestion to your development team is that it sure would be more intuitive and user friendly if the filtering control was merged and the database table 'SSISPackageAlertList' was used for both since in my opinion you will want the two filters to match. You do not want the reports showing warnings and errors that do not show in notification emails or vice-versa. Therefore, I recommend having the notifications use the exact same set-up and table. If you feel that someone may want to separately control the filters then you can always change the FilterThisAlert column to two columns in the database - FilterAlertForReporting and FilterAlertForNotifications. An administrator could set them both identically if, like me, they wanted them to be the same or could set them differently if they wished.

Please pass this along to your development team as I sure would like to see this enhancement to your product line.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steve Mayer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google