I suggest you ...

change the Dimension Merge SCD

to allow a column to be specified in the "Variable containing now value". I don't like the fact that I'm limited to use a variable. In my dataset I could have records with different Start dates that I'd like to use to control the Effective/Expiry date.

Would also be really nice to have a SCD0 option under the Existing Dimension Input Column Definitions.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChristianChristian shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JonathanJonathan commented  · 

I agree - the effective date of the record should reflect when the record changed, not when the package was run.

• Anonymous commented  · 

allow a column to be specified in the "Variable containing now value".
        ==================
        otherwise you must sort your start dates and call the SCD Merge component in a FOR loop container, which can be quite slow if you have a lot of different dates to deal with. this defeats the speed advantage of using the SCD Merge component.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would like to be able to specify the value of the SCD Effective Date for incoming records with new business keys.
        =============
        this specific problem can be handled using a derived column on the "New" output of the SCD Merge component to set the effective start date to 1900-01-01. We are doing this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

allow a column to be specified in the "Variable containing now value".
        =============
        this would be an extremely valuable addition to the Merge SCD. There is a very good solution for late arriving dimensions that can be implemented if you can use a column as the Start Date.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Similar to this, I would like to be able to specify the value of the SCD Effective Date for incoming records with new business keys. Just like the last record's Expiry Date can be set to an arbitrary far future date (e.g. 9999-12-31), I want to set the first record's Effective Date to 1900-01-01. If an SCD2 change is detected, the new version of the record can have an Effective Date set to the current date/time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base